Saturday 16 April 2011

Plushie monster!

I have harboured an ambition for a while now to recreate some of my monsters as plush toys - I always thought it'd be pretty ace to bring them to life in a way. It's a plan I've kind of put to the back of my mind, mainly because I'm not exactly the best when it comes to sewing. To put it into perspective, I was the kid at school who, in textiles lessons, constantly jammed the sewing machines, broke countless needles and was usually relegated to completing my projects wonkily sewing everything by hand. However, yesterday morning I woke up and decided that I was going to make a plush toy, and as with most of my impulsive project decisions, I knew I wouldn't be going to bed until it was finished.

And so, without further ado, I would like to introduce you to the result of a very late night and half a dozen needle holes in my fingers - my very first attempt at plushie-making! My little monster is nameless at the moment, so any suggestions would be ace.



Please excuse the messy sewing, I really need to practice! Also, if I decide to make more of these, I should probably invest in some proper sewing stuff - my sewing kit came from a cracker! Although the final outcome isn't exactly how I imagined it - he turned out much taller and thinner than I'd planned - I really enjoyed making my mini monster. It was a challenge, and I loved creating all the little details such as the tiny claws and the button eyes. It's just an amazing feeling turning an illustration into something tangible, something I can actually hold in my hand.

I have also been having fun this afternoon photographing him;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your messages, and read every single one, so you can guarantee that if you leave me a comment, it will really make my day! ♥ Thank you, I hope you have a happy day. :]